The responses were tabulated up to last Sunday. The deadline for the respondents to return their forms to the Federal Territories Ministry was Monday.
The source said 746 respondents (68.1%) want compensation in cash, and five seek to be compensated with built-up units.
Another 305 respondents (27.9%) said they want the government to compensate them in both cash and built-up units, and five requested shares in the developer’s company.
Fewer than half of those given the forms have replied, said the source.
“We gave out some 2,500 forms to the landowners during the town hall (on September 21). Those who didn’t attend were asked to download the form from the government website.”
At the town hall, Federal Territories Minister Khalid Abdul Samad told Kg Baru landowners about Putrajaya’s offer.
“This is the highest estimate by the Valuation and Property Services Department, taking into account the condition that ownership can only go to Malays.”
The landowners were offered four types of compensation: cash, completed units, a combination of cash and completed units, or shares in the special purpose vehicle that will develop the land.
Currently, Kg Baru has 5,359 residents in 850 lots.
Several landowners had told The Malaysian Insight that the government’s price was too low, and that they wanted between RM1,500 and RM3,000 psf.
Some had also claimed that the majority of landowners rejected the offer.
On Sunday, Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad said the Kg Baru land will only be sold to a government agency to be redeveloped.
“Previously, plots in Kg Baru had Malay agricultural reserve land status. Now, the landowners cannot farm there. They can only do business there, but they do not have enough money to develop the land.
“We can see old houses with rusty zinc roofs there. It is an eyesore in the middle of the rapidly developing Kuala Lumpur, which is full of skyscrapers,” he said on the sidelines of the Malay Dignity Congress.