KUALA LUMPUR – The statement by Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador on the sex video scandal involving a former PKR youth leader and a man resembling a Cabinet member has led to more speculation, due to the cryptic nature of the message.
Veteran newsman Datuk A. Kadir Jasin in his blog today said that it is not the public’s fault if it didn’t fully accept Abdul Hamid’s statement regarding the video.
“This is because one of the two actors in the Sandakan video has come forward and identified who he was making out (bercumbu-cumbuan) with. He even dares going to prison to defend his allegations,” he said.
The media adviser to Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad was referring to the confession by former PKR Santubong youth chief Haziq Aziz and his allegations that the other man in the video with him is Economic Affairs Minister and PKR deputy president Datuk Seri Azmin Ali.
He noted that there are several possible outcomes based on the statement by Abdul Hamid.
He said the first would be a criminal charge against the couple found having committed homosexual acts in the video.
The second would be a criminal charge against the person or persons who had screened and/or circulated the pornographic video, while the third would be for those who believe they have been humiliated to take civil action through a defamation suit.
Touching on the transition of power, which many have linked to the surfacing of the video, Kadir posted a reminder that the succession from Dr Mahathir to Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim can only happen after Pakatan Harapan (PH) makes a decision.
“Even then they are tied with the promises made in the General Elections 2018 manifesto that was supported by the majority of the voters.
“At this moment, the PH Presidential Council should focus on ensuring that the PKR infighting will not spread and infect PH (as a whole),” said Kadir.
Rumour has it that Azmin is Dr Mahathir’s favoured choice to succeed him, despite the promise made to Anwar prior to the 14th General Election.
During PPBM’s Annual General Meeting, some grassroots members voiced their support for Azmin instead of Anwar.
Kadir lauded Dr Mahathir and PPBM president Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin’s decision to not interfere with PKR’s internal matters — particularly the ongoing tensions between the party’s deputy and its president, which has split PKR into two camps.
– Malay Mail
Azmin to hold thanksgiving prayers on Sunday
Economic Affairs Minister Mohamed Azmin Ali is holding a special prayer at the official residence of the Selangor Menteri Besar this Sunday, according to an invite to the programme.
The event, which includes a thanksgiving prayer session, comes days after police announced they could not tie a sex video to the PKR deputy president.
Scheduled to start at 7.30pm with Maghrib prayer, the programme also features a solat hajat prayer to seek divine intervention to protect the country leaders from what it described as the danger of defamation.
According to a Selangor Menteri Besar aide, who confirmed the invite, the programme was organised by Azmin’s political secretary Hilman Idham.
“All leaders and members, as well as the rakyat who reject ‘fitnah’ (defamation), are invited to this event,” said the invite.
However, it could not be confirmed if the event is held in conjunction with the police announcement on Thursday when Inspector-General of Police Abdul Hamid Bador said the sex video implicating Azmin is authentic, but the agency could not ascertain the identities of the two men recorded engaging in sexual acts.
So far, the police have arrested eight people in connection with the case, including Santubong PKR Youth chief Haziq Abdullah Abdul Haziz and PKR president Anwar Ibrahim’s political aide Farhash Wafa Salvador.
After the first clip was released, Haziq confessed to being the person in the video. He also claimed that the person he was engaging in sexual acts with was Azmin.
Haziq alleged the video was recorded in Azmin’s hotel room in Sandakan, Sabah, two months ago.
Azmin, who is also PKR deputy president, has described the video as a nefarious attempt to ruin his political career.
Twelve Johor PKR leaders urge party president to take action against video conspirators
Meanwhile, in a related matter, a group of 12 Johor PKR leaders today issued a statement welcoming the IGP’s announcement.
The leaders who signed the statement are Rashid Hasnon (Batu Pahat division chief), Dr Chong Fat Full (Ledang), Steven Choong (Tebrau), Sivarajah (Segamat), Mark Mathew (Kluang), Mohd Bakri Said (Sri Gading), Ronald Sia (Pontian), Pang Yock Tong (Labis), Yogeswaran Subramaniam (Iskandar Puteri), Subramani Chami (Pagoh), Rahamizon Abdul Ghani (Johor Wanita chief), and Nur Khairul Ain Abd Samat (Johor PKR Srikandi chief).
The group said they were also shocked to learn that several people had been arrested over the video, and urged party president Anwar Ibrahim to take stern action against any member found to be involved in the conspiracy.
“We pray that this episode would find a good closure soon, with appropriate action taken against those involved,” said the statement.
The group also stated their support to a statement by PKR vice-president Zuraida Kamaruddin and 28 other party leaders who urged Anwar to unite the party members.