KUALA LUMPUR— The mastermind behind the production and circulation of the sex video implicating a federal minister, which went viral last month, has been identified, Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador announced last night.
Without giving any details on the so-called mastermind, Abdul Hamid said the police had also made several arrests to facilitate further investigations into the case.
“The focus of the investigation into the case is on those involved in the production of the video and those responsible for circulating the video.
So far, he said the police had recorded the statements from several witnesses and detained those who were suspected to have circulated the video.
“Action will also be taken against those involved in viralising the same-sex video. We are also in the midst of tracking down those who misused their social media to circulate the video, as well as through their mobile phones,” he said.
Last month, media reported that several video clips showing two men engaging in homosexual acts had gone viral on social media, and on June 12, former Santubong PKR Youth chief Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz confessed being one of the two men in the video.
Meanwhile, Abdul Hamid said the case’s investigation papers also need to be updated and improved, but with the Bukit Aman Classified Crime Investigation Unit having to make several trips to Sandakan, Sabah, to gather more evidence from those involved, it would take quite some time.
He said certain actions also need to be taken and scrutinised before the investigation papers could be submitted to the Attorney-General’s Chambers.
“All those actions are taken upon instructions from the Attorney-General’s Chambers because we have submitted the papers twice and discussed it with them with the last meeting held last Thursday,” he said.
On the authenticity of the video, Abdul Hamid said it had been sent to the lab for scientific verification and it would take some time before the result is known. — Bernama
Cops closing in on viral sex video ‘mastermind’
Police are closing in on the mastermind behind those who circulated sex videos last month that purportedly implicated a minister.
Inspector-General of Police Abdul Hamid Bador said although police have yet to identify the mastermind, the investigation has found clues of his identity and signs of a conspiracy.
“I think there is a mastermind. There are hints (bayangan) of who is responsible. There is a form of conspiracy behind this,” he told reporters after attending the “Malam Semarak Kasih” programme at the Melati Police Quarters in Setiawangsa, Kuala Lumpur last night.
Based on a recording of the event, he told reporters that the two-prong investigation into the video is focused on tracking down both those who had circulated the video, as well as identifying the mastermind.
Several of those suspected to have circulated the video had already been arrested and released, he said, although he was unable to provide the number of those arrested when asked.
“We don’t know who he (the mastermind) is. That’s why we arrested those whose phones we found to have been used to circulate (the video),” he said.
He added that the investigation paper has yet to be submitted to the attorney-general, although it has been submitted to prosecutors twice, and each time it has been returned with further instructions.
The last time the investigation paper was returned by the prosecutors was on Thursday this week.
No undue delays
Abdul Hamid added that the investigation is taking time because the investigating officer had to comply with the prosecutors’ instructions to conduct further investigation, as well as to travel back-and-forth between Kuala Lumpur and Sandakan.
The sex act was allegedly filmed at a hotel in Sandakan.
“So all that takes time. Some people don’t seem to understand and assumed that the investigation is being deliberately (stalled).
“They should accept and understand that this is the standard operating procedure for cases like this,” he said.
As for the authenticity of the video, Abdul Hamid said the results of a laboratory analysis is still pending.
The sex video involving two men surfaced in June, and former PKR Santubong Youth chief Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz confessed shortly after that he was one of the men in the video.
He claimed that the other person was Economic Affairs Minister Mohamed Azmin Ali, but the minister had vehemently denied the accusation.