The Malaysiakini news portal reported Azmin as responding to such questions by citing Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s previous remarks rejecting the authenticity of the clips earlier this week.
Azmin said he has given his commitment to fully cooperate with any investigation into the matter.
Yesterday PKR-linked NGO Otai Reformis urged Azmin to take a leave of absence pending the resolution of the scandal in order to preserve Pakatan Harapan’s image.
On Tuesday, the first wave of two videos about 90 seconds each were spread to journalists on a WhatsApp group created for the purpose.
Later the same day, Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz, the senior private secretary to Primary Industries Deputy Minister Shamsul Iskandar Mohd Akin, allegedly admitted on his Facebook page to being the other person in the video.
Haziq was arrested yesterday while trying to leave the country and is currently in the custody of the police who are investigating him over four offences including unnatural sex and distributing pornography. MALAY MAIL
Azmin should do the right thing, says Mat Hasan
ECONOMIC Affairs Minister Mohamed Azmin Ali, who is caught up in a sex tape scandal, should know what to do if he had any self-worth, said acting Umno president Mohamad Hasan.
Mohamad said Azmin’s moral authority as a leader was at stake.
However, he did not want to say whether Azmin should go on leave or continue with his duties.
“This is about morality. He should know what to do,” Mohamad said at his Hari Raya open house in Rantau, Negri Sembilan, today.
PKR member Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz later that day said he and Azmin were the two men shown in the clips.
The former Negri Sembilan menteri besar, popularly known as Mat Hasan, said Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad is the only one who can decide on Azmin’s position in the cabinet.
“We can give our view. My view is that if he has the right morals, he would make the right decision on this matter,” he said.
Earlier today, Azmin dismissed calls for him to take a leave of absence, saying his focus continues to be on delivering Putrajaya’s promises to the people.
Azmin said he will continue work while police investigate the sex video, adding that his constituents still support him.
“It is our duty as the Pakatan Harapan government to stick to the new policy, new approach, new politics. These are values we must defend.
“I will retain my focus to deliver as minister of economic affairs and I’m here to support the policies of the prime minister. We will continue to move forward to deliver to the people,” said Azmin, who is also PKR deputy president.
He has repeatedly denied he is the man in the videos, saying the clips are part of a plot to destroy his political future.
Yesterday, reform group Otai Reformasi urged Azmin to go on leave until investigations into the sex clip are complete.
Idris Ahmad, chairman of the group formed after PKR president Anwar Ibrahim was sacked in 1998, said the call was made to preserve “the good name” of PH. – THE MALAYSIAN INSIGHT
MALAY MAIL / THE MALAYSIAN INSIGHT