PETALING JAYA – Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan died of smoke inhalation after his room caught fire at his home in Mutiara Damansara here Thursday (June 14).
He was 45, and leaves behind a wife and four children, as well as one son from a previous marriage. (Updated)
According to a family friend, Nazrin had complained of a migraine this afternoon and went to bed after taking some medication.
The bed caught fire, and Nazrin is believed to have died of smoke inhalation.
The Fire and Rescue Department said it received a report at 12.30pm and despatched two fire engines and 14 firemen to the scene.
They arrived at 12.46pm and the fire was put out at 12.53pm.
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.
Petaling Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Mohd Zani Che Din said around 30% of the victim’s body was burnt.
“The cause of death is smoke inhalation and the body being burnt,” he said when contacted on Thursday.
Cradle is a Ministry of Finance company that looks into developing entrepreneurs and the Malaysian start-up ecosystem. It was the agency that gave early funding to companies like ride-hailing pioneer Grab (previously MyTeksi) and fintech startup iMoney.