THE MACC will not interfere with police investigations into scandal-hit state investor 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) as it did not want to “overlap” with the probe, said MACC chief commissioner Dzulkifli Ahmad.
“It has nothing to do with us. It was agreed a long time ago that the investigations will be done by the police, we don’t want to overlap our investigations,” said Dzulkifli.
On that note, the MACC chief said police should be given more time to investigate the scandal.
Commenting on the latest US Department of Justice (DoJ) civil suit, Dzulkifli said there was no request for information or notification from the DoJ.
On Thursday, the DoJ had moved to seize another US$540 million (RM2.3 billion) in assets that was allegedly bought with money stolen from 1MDB, bringing the misappropriated figure from 1MDB to US$4.5 billion.
The Prime Minister’s Office has dismissed the latest DoJ suit as “unproven allegations”, while Attorney-General Mohamed Apandi Ali said it was a repeat of last year’s US$1 billion suit, adding that his office had yet to be provided with proof that money had been siphoned from 1MDB.
THE MALAYSIAN INSIGHT