Former Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) director Bahri Mohd Zin has denied that the commission’s media unit contacted him over his remarks concerning the investigation into SRC International Bhd.
Speaking to Sinar Harian, he said during his final days of service, they never even communicated with him.
“Those who consume ‘dedak’ (animal feed) are everywhere, (they) should have waited for my official statement. I do not like being used by others without my permission,” he said.
The term “dedak” was first used by Dr Mahathir Mohamad to describe those who purportedly received benefits for supporting Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak.
Bahri, who was the former special operations division chief, was responding to MACC’s media statement that the commission had contacted him and Bahri had denied stating he opted for early retirement because he was disappointed with the SRC case.
“In regards to a statement published in a media portal today stating Dato’ Bahri chose to retire early due to disappointment that investigation into SRC International (SRC) failed to be brought to court, MACC had contacted Dato’ Bahri and he denied making such a statement to the portal,” read the statement issued on Tuesday.
MACC deputy operations chief Azam Baki also claimed that when Bahri was contacted, the latter denied saying he felt as if he had sinned towards 30 million Malaysians as reported.
Earlier that day, several media organisations, including Malaysiakini, quoted Bahri as stating that he was disappointed that the SRC case was not brought to court.
Based on the MACC statement, the Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) sent an email to Malaysiakini on Tuesday night, instructing the news portal to remove the articles on Bahri which were deemed to be fake.
However, the instruction was retracted the following morning.
Responding to Bahri, BN strategic communications director Abdul Rahman Dahlan argued that not all cases investigated by MACC culminated in prosecution.
As for the SRC case, he said the matter was not brought to court because the Attorney-General’s Chambers decided there were no grounds to do so.
SRC, which was previously a subsidiary of 1MDB and is now under the Finance Ministry, came under the spotlight after RM42 million of its money was found in Najib’s personal bank account.
The SRC money was deposited into Najib’s account in two transactions – on Dec 26, 2014 and Feb 10, 2015 – after being routed through two companies, Gandingan Mentari Sdn Bhd and Ihsan Perdana Sdn Bhd.
Najib has reportedly claimed to be unaware about the money from SRC, and attorney-general Mohamed Apandi Ali also cleared him of any wrongdoing in the matter.