The Malaysian social media – including WhatsApp messaging – is abuzz with Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak’s trip to the US, but the Malaysians seem more concerned with the latter’s billion dollar promises to President Donald Trump.
Starting with those saying the Malaysian leader is selling Malaysia to the US from those who are asking why does the country have to invest the people’s money in the US, the questions are numerous.
One message circulating on WhatsApp – despite the threats by the local internet regulators to crack down on anyone who would circulate and forward ‘fake’ messages – has some genuine questions.
It says “Prime Minister Najib Razak has committed Malaysia to purchase 25 planes of the 737 MAX 10, plus eight 787 Dreamliners in the near future with the deal worth beyond USD10 billion (RM42 BILLION).”
The message then said: These proposals are made at a time when the Malaysian government and the people are suffering from financial difficulties due to the slowdown of the economy.
Then these questions are asked:
WE AS RAKYAT MUST ASK NAJIB:
(1) MAS is still struggling to recover from its huge deficits and debts. It has been retrenching staffs and selling off assets in the past years. Is MAS in the financial position to spend USD10 billion to purchase 25 Boeing planes?
(2) Can our Prime Minister use EPF fund of RM16.8 billion to invest in the infrastructure redevelopment of US without consulting the fund’s contributors? What sort of returns are the EPF contributors going to get out of this investment?
Last week, former deputy Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) governor Tan Sri Lin See-Yan has voiced concerns over the economy, listing high national debt, a weak currency and dependency on cheap foreign labour as signs of economic fatigue.
Lin has also said that all the indicators are showing signs of fatigue. Growth is slowing down, and fundamentally, the economy needs restructuring.
More questions are asked:
- Is Malaysia that cash-rich that it can afford to buy 25 Boeing planes plus eight 787 Dreamliners in the near future, as well as investing in infrastructure redevelopment in US now?
- Will these purchase and investment help to boost the current weak economic situation in Malaysia, or are they in exchange for?
- Will these purchase and investment help to boost the current weak economic situation in Malaysia, or are they in exchange for a greater investment from the United States?
Prime Minister Najib should explain to the rakyat, what are the objectives of his trip to the US.
Is this a shopping trip for him to show to US government that Malaysia can be its good ‘purchaser’ of American made planes, and even can help to rebuild infrastructures in US?
Malaysians have a right to know as to what sort of possible investment benefits and returns has Najib brought back to Malaysia on this trip considering millions was spent by Prime Minister and his entourage on this US trip.
Then it tells the people who are reading and circulation the message en masse: ASK YOURSELF, WOULD YOU EVEN SPEND YOUR OWN MONEY THIS WAY?? VOTE WISELY IN GE14
It is signed: Anak Malaysia