KUALA LUMPUR – Video portal KiniTV and its two directors, who allegedly made offensive remarks against the Attorney-General through videos by a former Umno division leader, have failed to get the charges against them dropped.
Sessions Court judge Zaman Mohd Noor dismissed KiniTV, Steven Gan Diong Keng and Premesh Chandran’s application after meeting parties in chambers Friday.
DPP Mohd Sophian Zakaria told reporters later that the Attorney-General’s Chambers had rejected a letter of representation to drop the charge on Jan 18.
He also said the court later fixed March 3 for mention.
On Nov 17 last year, the portal was charged with making and initiating the transmission of offensive comments with the intention to annoy another person through two videos on Attorney-General Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi Ali that contained statements by former Batu Kawan Umno vice-chief Datuk Seri Khairuddin Abu Hassan.
KiniTV, which is a subsidiary of Malaysiakini, was alleged to have published the videos on July 27 last year.
The charge is under the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 for improper use of network facilities for communications that are deemed offensive, false or obscene, among others.
Gan, 55, also pleaded not guilty to two similar charges.
The court also heard two charges against Premesh over the same offences.
However, Premesh is now overseas on a sabbatical and had not been served the papers in person. He is scheduled to return in August.