IPOH – The area where a money changer’s outlet in Jalan Mustapha Al Bakri here was robbed of RM2mil is a quiet spot in the evenings. Most shops there close at about 6pm.

“Only a convenience shop and a clinic are open until 9pm to 10pm,” said a shopkeeper, who declined to be named.

“With the closure of the McDonald’s outlet late last year, the area has become quieter.”

At about 6.45pm on Tuesday, three masked men armed with fake pistols robbed the outlet of foreign currency.

The premises was about to close when the robbers burst in, held up an armed security guard and took the money from the safe.

The clinic’s senior administrative assistant, Mohamad Syahir Mohd Arif, 27, said there was hardly anyone in the area around that time on weekdays.

iphforex170517 1... One of the fake gun that was used by robbers who carted away with RM2mil in numerous foreign currencies at a moneychanger outlet at Jalan Mustapha Al Bakri in Ipoh on Tuesday (may 16) at about 6.30pm.

One of the fake guns used by the robbers.

“It’s slightly better on weekends with the nearby Gerbang Malam night market,” he said.

Mohamad Syahir was still at work when the incident occurred.

“One of our patients saw the robbers run out and drop a gun to the ground. He ran back into the clinic and told me about the robbery, so I went to have a look,” Mohamad Syahir said.

“The shutter was already down. I saw the gun and did not dare get closer,” he added.

Mohamad Syahir said when the shutter was raised a few minutes later, the money changer’s employees came out looking dazed.

“There were seven of them. One was on his mobile phone, most likely calling the police,” he said.

Police patrol units showed up within minutes and cordoned off the road, Mohamad Syahir added.

Ipoh OCPD Asst Comm Sum Chang Keong said police checked the CCTV recordings at the premises.

“The security guard had his pump gun taken during the robbery. The robbers fled in a 4WD,” he said.

“We found two fake pistols used by the suspects, one inside the shop and another outside,” he said, adding that investigation was ongoing.