SIBU – About 1,000 people including patients, staff and members of the public had to be cleared from 18 wards of Sibu Hospital following a fire which broke out in the male medical ward.
Sibu Bomba acting chief, Wan Kamaruddin Ahmad said on Saturday (Nov 18) that the 8.15am fire occurred due to a faulty blower of the air-cond system in the toilet area of the ward.
“We estimated about 1,000 people were affected by the fire. They had to be cleared from 18 wards for safety reasons and were gathered in three spots in the compound of the hospital,” he added.
19 firemen in two fire engines rushed to the scene upon receiving the distress call at 8.19am and managed to put out the fire within minutes.
“These patients are placed at other wards while our maintenance people rectify the concerned part of the air cond system,” she said.