GEORGE TOWN – In light of the recent exposé on the Wang Kelian tragedy, Perlis police chief Comm Datuk Azisman Alias said that his contingent will keep tabs on human trafficking rings to prevent a similar incident from recurring.
Azisman had however declined to elaborate further, saying the case was now handled by the Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
An intelligence officer with the Thailand Army had also revealed that there was a joint collaboration between the Thai and Malaysian authorities in investigating the case, but lamented the lack of sharing in the information obtained.
While a DAP Member of Parliament has called for a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) to be conducted to determine the truth of the Wang Kelian human trafficking tragedy where several migrant workers were murdered by their handlers after failure to be smuggled in.
Bukit Mertajam MP Steven Sim Chee Keong said the international reputation of the country has been compromised over the incident.
Sim said the latest expose about Wang Kelian has confirmed the suspicions of many quarters that a syndicate was involved in human smuggling and they may have corroborated with certain levels of authorities in the country.
“While the Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi has said that there will not be any closing on the file of the case, nothing short of a RCI is sufficient,” he said in a statement on Wednesday.
Batu Kawan MP Kasthuri Pattoo said there was a need for accountablity over what had transpired in Wang Kelian, as lives were lost.
In May 2015, police had found the mass graves in Bukit Wang Burma, Wang Kelian, Perlis.
The camps were believed to be jungle transit points along a network of “rat tunnels” used by human trafficking syndicates to smuggle migrant workers without travel documents into Malaysia.
Several human remains, believed to be of Rohingyas fleeing sectarian violence in Myanmar, were among those recovered from the graves.
The remains were all reburied at Kampung Tualang in Jabi, Pokok Sena, Kedah following autopsies.
So far only four men who were all foreigners were prosecuted and convicted for their direct involvement with the discovery of a mass grave in Wang Kelian, but a news investigative report speculates that more people may have been involved.