Marilou Danley is being sought for questioning re the investigation into the active shooter incident. If seen please call 9-1-1!
The suspected gunmen in the Las Vegas shooting has been identified as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock of Mesquite, Nevada.
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said that the shooter was found dead in a room on the 32nd floor of Mandalay Bay in an apparent suicide. Lombardo said Paddock opened fire from the room, and there were no other shooters. Police said he had no known connection to terrorism.
At least 50 people are dead and 406 were sent to hospitals after a gunman opened fire on more than 22,000 concert-goers in Las Vegas, police said Monday, in what was apparently the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.
Lombardo said the authorities have not completed an investigation into Paddock’s background and history. But Lombardo said the police department had located a number of firearms in the room he occupied in the hotel. Officers will also be carrying out a search on Paddock’s residence.
The shooter fired on concertgoers from an upper-floor room at Mandalay Bay, police confirmed.
Investigators said they located a woman who had been traveling with Paddock, Marilou Danley, and want to question her.
Police say Danley was not with Paddock when he checked into Mandalay Bay. Paddock was utilizing some of her identification, Lombardo said, adding that police “have had a conversation with her,” believing Danley “at this time not to be involved.”
Paddock was not known to the federal authorities, but was known to local law enforcement, according to NBC News.
He has no known connection to terrorism and police have not called the shooting a terrorist attack, according to NBC.
The shooting took place at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival across the road from the Mandalay Bay hotel, near McCarran International Airport, on the south side of the Las Vegas Strip.
Videos posted on social media showed large crowds ducking for cover amid sustained bursts of shooting, apparently from a semi-automatic weapon.
Lombardo said he does not believe there are any more shooters. He said reports on social media that there were multiple shooters and explosives used were false.
The FBI requested that anyone with video or photos regarding the shooting call 1-(800)-225-5324.
During the shooting, police told people to avoid heading to the south end of the Strip and said it was investigating an active shooter. Police said Las Vegas Boulevard was shut down at Tropicana, southbound past Russell Road.
The number of dead surpassed the death toll in the June 12, 2016, rampage at the Pulse gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida, where 49 people were slain. Police said that two on-duty officers were injured during the shooting. One is in stable condition after surgery and the other sustained minor injuries.
Flights were being held in and out of Las Vegas McCarran International Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration said. McCarran airport tweeted that some flights were diverted. Minutes later, McCarran said that some flights in and out of the airport had been “temporarily halted.” Just before 1 a.m., McCarran tweeted that “limited flight activity” had resumed but travelers should expect ongoing delays.
Jon Bessett, one of the attendees at the concert, described the scenes as “pandemonium.” He told NBC News that around 10 p.m. Sunday, he heard gunshots but country music star Jason Aldean and his band continued playing. Further gunshots followed and the band ran off stage.
“Everyone was running, people were getting trampled,” Bessett said. He then ran out over to the Luxor hotel nearby but still had friends at the concert, Bessett said.
“We ran as quick as we could into hotel and tried to get on the elevator but couldn’t get in.
Chilling videos on social media show Aldean running off stage. He posted on Instagram shortly after informing people that him and his crew were safe.
“My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved tonight. It hurts my heart that this would happen to anyone who was just coming out to enjoy what should have been a fun night,” Aldean wrote on Instagram.
Mandalay Bay, which is owned by MGM Resorts, was on lockdown during the shooting, according to one social media user.
The hotel and casino later released a statement on its official Twitter account.