PETALING JAYA – A high-profile businessman has been arrested by the anti-graft agency over allegations of receiving RM19mil to help close investigations over the controversial Penang mega project involving three main roads and an undersea tunnel.
The 37-year-old man, believed to be also an actor in an upcoming local action movie, was detained after having his statement recorded at the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) headquarters in Putrajaya on Tuesday afternoon (Feb 27).
Sources familiar with the case said the man received the money in stages between July and August last year from construction companies after claiming that he was able to “settle” the case.
“The first payment was RM2mil, given to him at his house while the second payment of RM15mil was paid by a construction company to another company connected to him.
“The final RM2mil was paid in August,” sources said.
He is the fifth person to be arrested over the probe on the feasibility studies of the mega project involving three man roads and an undersea tunnel.
MACC investigations director Datuk Simi Abd Ghani said the suspect will be remanded on Wednesday (Feb 28).
Two high-ranking Datuks from construction companies were remanded early January while a Datuk Seri chairman and a senior engineering consultant were detained late last month.
The four have since been released on MACC bail.
The mega project in Penang includes the construction of a 7.2km undersea tunnel connecting Gurney Drive on the island to Bagan Ajam in north Butterworth.
There will also be a 10.53km North Coastal Paired Road from Tanjung Bungah to Teluk Bahang, a 5.7km Air Itam-Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway bypass and a 4.075km Gurney Drive-Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway bypass.