TEACHER Azizan Manap is leaving his fate in the hands of the Education Ministry, following a court’s move to have his case withdrawn.
He told Sinar Harian Online that he would leave it to the ministry to decide whether he would continue with his posting at a primary school in Nilai or to transfer him elsewhere.
Popularly known as “Cikgu Azizan”, the teacher said there had been no official word from the ministry on his status at SK Taman Semarak, despite the fact that the 2018 school term starts in 11 days.
“I leave it to the state Education Department,” Azizan was quoted as saying after a meeting with senior ministry officials at the school yesterday.
Present at the meeting was Deputy Education Minister Chong Sin Woon, who gave an assurance that he would find an amicable solution for all those involved.
Azizan had been charged under Section 323 of the Penal Code for causing hurt to a Standard Five pupil.
The charge carries a one-year prison sentence upon conviction.
Azizan’s trial was due to begin last Tuesday, but on the same day, the prosecution withdrew the charge against him after his case attracted a storm of protest from teachers and civil servants nationwide.
RELATED STORIES: Malaysian couple jailed in Sweden for child abuse
In a rare occurrence, some 300 teachers and civil servants showed up in support of Azizan at the Seremban magistrate’s court, where his trial was supposed to start.
It was reported that the boy’s parents were considering filing a civil suit against Azizan, but the child’s father later denied this.
It was also reported that ministry officials would meet the boy’s parents.
Azizan, who was put in charge of stamping out the school’s disciplinary problems, had acted against the pupil for allegedly sniffing glue, fighting and bullying others.