Imagine holding a press conference to make a loud statement to the media about something that is not directly related to yourself, when you haven’t even thoroughly checked the facts.
This is what Musa Hassan, a former IGP has done. What a nightmare it must have been to work for someone that careless in a top position.
If Musa had properly examined the facts (read Sarawak Report for example) he would have noted that from day one we made clear that one of Najib’s personal accounts (no 2112022009694), the one which received $681 million in March 2013, was closed the following August:
However, our article about Shafee’s payments quite clearly cites a later account Najib opened, into which money from SRC International was paid (a subsidiary of 1MDB).
This was account number 2112022011906, which remained open until we broke the scandal in 2015. Getting these sorts of details right are the bread and butter of investigative work and something this senior officer ought to have been taught in police college.
It is lucky he is now retired and perhaps he should keep it that way, instead of digging his friends into deeper holes, when they themselves are plainly deciding that silence is the better option.
Former inspector-general of police Musa Hassan has questioned the validity of Sarawak Report’s allegation that Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak paid prominent lawyer Muhammad Shafee Abdullah RM9.5 million.
He initially cited a Malaysiakini report dated “Aug 8, 2015” but later clarified that it was an Aug 15 report titled “US$650m from Najib’s account sent abroad“, in which it was mentioned that the prime minister’s Ambank account was closed on Aug 30, 2013.
“So how can the RM9.5 million be paid to the lawyer if the account was already closed? I think this claim is not true as the payment was (alleged to have been) made on Sept 11, 2013 and Feb 17, 2014,” Musa said in a press conference in Petaling Jaya.
However, the special task force on revenue recovery on July 9, 2015 revealed that Najib had at least two accounts in Ambank Islamic – the other was closed on March 9, 2015.
The task force, which was probing matters related to 1MDB and SRC International Sdn Bhd, comprised former attorney-general Abdul Gani Patail, former Bank Negara governor Zeti Akhtar Aziz, former Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief Abu Kassim Mohamed and inspector-general of police Khalid Abu Bakar.
Last week, Sarawak Report claimed to have sighted documents from investigators which purportedly showed that Najib paid Shafee from the same account into which SRC funds were transferred.
Shafee had acted as chief prosecutor in Anwar Ibrahim’s Sodomy II case when the matter was heard in the higher courts.
Malaysiakini cannot independently verify Sarawak Report’s allegation or confirm if the purported payment was related to the Sodomy II case.
Repeated attempts to solicit comments Shafee and Najib’s aide Tengku Sharrifudin Tengku Ahmad have been unsuccessful.
‘I was a victim of slander as well’
Dismissing Sarawak Report’s allegation as slander, Musa said he too was a victim to such claims when he was investigating the first sodomy allegation against Anwar in 1998.
“I was also a victim of slander, I was accused of receiving RM5 million from (former prime minister) Dr Mahathir Mohamad which was supposedly put in my accounts in Singapore.
“But this is not true because I did not receive the RM5 million,” he said.
Meanwhile, citing a police report which was made based on the claims by Sarawak Report, Musa said the report was therefore false in nature.
Asked if he would be taking legal action, Musa pointed out that he had no locus standi to do so.
“I am just giving clarification on the matter,” he said.
Later, when told about the existence of another account which was closed in 2015, Musa said he was not aware of this.
“You have to check with the MACC or the police,” he said when asked whether there was a possibility that Shafee could have been paid through this account.