Many Malaysians have been confused by Rizal Mansor, who, not so long ago, suddenly and mysteriously appeared as an aide to PM Najib. He is also Rosmah’s (Najib’s wife) spokesman. Why? This is how things are done in Malaysia, so that a person who has no position anywhere in government, is provided an aide free-of-charge, at the Taxpayers’ expense.
It would appear also that there is no family link between Rizal Mansor and Rosmah Mansor, PM Najib’s “world infamous” wife.
When questioned about Permata, Rizal produced screenshots which purportedly showed its accounts for 2013 and 2014 at its website.
Let’s be very, very clear.
Yayasan Permata (YP) is the private non-profit foundation of PM Najib’s wife, Rosmah Mansor. She may claim that the administration and financial affairs of Permata are managed by the PM Najib’s Department, but we all know how the game is really played.
Permata’s aims and objectives are stated at its website as follows:
YP was newly registered in December 2012. The previously registered Yayasan PERMATA under the PM’s department was wound up and its funds, amounting to $5,158,921, transferred to YP.
Since then, YP has received the following additional funds:
1. 2013 – $5.3 million from Najib. This represents money stolen by Najib from 1MDB/SRC and generously donated to his wife’s foundation.
2. 2014 – A staggering $32 million (US$10 million) from Executive Affairs Authority, Abu Dhabi.
3. 2015 – $10,000 from the Palestine Embassy in Malaysia.
It’s not clear why the government of Abu Dhabi donated $32 million to YP. But, much of Najib’s 1MDB $46 billion fraud revolves around dealings with Abu Dhabi government-owned companies IPIC (listed on the London Stock Exchange) and Aabar. The main persons whom Najib (and Jho Low) dealt with were IPIC’s MD Qubaisi and Aabar’s CEO (Husseiny). Both of them have been sacked and now face criminal charges in Abu Dhabi and civil charges by the US DoJ for kleptocracy involving 1MDB’s fraudulently diverted funds. US DoJ criminal charges are in the pipe-line.
It would therefore NOT be a big surprise, if there is considerable hanky panky surrounding this generous “donation”! (Much like Najib’s blatant lies about that infamous $2.6 billion “donation” and SRC $42 million).
YP’s summarised Income/Expenditure Account and Balance Sheet for 2013-2015 are as follows:
As expected, there are no details of who the beneficiaries were of expenditure relating to donations, scholarships and other expenses.
However, the bulk of the expenses have gone to programs of doubtful benefit such as creating a Nobel Prize winner’s mindset for “gifted children”. One wonders if manufacturing a Nobel Prize winner is a great priority in a country which has produced few scientists of any note, let alone, internationally acclaimed scholars. Can genius be created like cars on an assembly line?
Is there an all inclusive approach in selection of candidates for the program? And what about building a firm foundation in our failing government schools where the majority of our students learn the basics? That is not a priority for Rosmah or Najib?
What the Rakyat really wants to know and see are details of Permata’s spending between 2010-2016 amounting to $2.7 billion as mentioned in Najib’s budgets:
2010 – $100 million
2011 – $111 million
2012 – $???
2013 – $1,200 million #1
2014 – $530 million #1
2015 – $711 million #1
2016 – $45 million #1
2017 – $85 million
#1 includes budget for other early education programs and kindergartens
What exactly is our Ministry of Education for, if the PM’s unelected wife is given tons of money to run a very iffy “gifted children” program? What expertise does she have in the education arena?
Here are some questions which elected MP’s and others have been asking about Permata and been stonewalled or given half-arsed explanations by the government:
1. Was Rosmah, or her company/firm/business or company/firm/business owned by her nominees paid any finders, consultancy or other fees or reward for setting up PERMATA between 2009-2016? How much?
2. Why is that after seven months, there is no news of YP audited accounts for 2016?
3. Why is Permata Insan spending millions of ringgit on producing Islamic scholars (Hafiz) learning the Quran by heart? Why should this program, run by the Islamic Science University of Malaysia (USIM) exclusively for Muslims, be funded by the government? Especially since the Ministry for Religious Affairs has a ridiculous annual budget in excess of $1 billion? How will Permata’s STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) program benefit from this wasteful expenditure?
You mean, all those Jews whom UMNO loves to stoke hatred against, and Westerners, won all those Nobel Prizes because they memorised the Torah or The Bible? What mental disease afflicts the likes of Rosmah and Najib?
4. How are students selected for these Permata programs – by mainly race and religion? What is the breakdown of students?
5. Why is the prime minister’s wife involved in programs for autism (Permata Kurnia) and setting up a childrens’ hospital (Permata HKK). Zecon Bhd. has been awarded a $606 million Build, Lease, Maintain and Transfer (BLTM) 30-year contract for the HKK hospital due for completion this year. Why is this not under the Ministry of Health?
6. How can UMNO/BN ram these expenses through Parliament when there is an obvious conflict of interest with the PM’s wife given carte blanche authority to ride rough-shod over education experts and university professors, rendering them useless?
7. Despite having $38.6 million in cash, why did Rosmah recently ask the government for an additional $5 million?
Most laughable is the logo design for Permata Pintar incorporating a diamond. Permata in Malay means precious stones and jewellery. PP is a program to “nurture balanced gifted and talented individuals with inquisitive minds, individuals who shall contribute as world leaders, thinkers, innovators and humanitarians.”
And of course, we now know, thanks to the US DoJ, that about $130 million of money fraudulently stolen from 1MDB, illegally ended up as diamond rings and gold necklaces round Rosmah’s fingers and neck!