AS GE14 DRAWS NEAR, ANWAR TRIES AGAIN TO FREE HIMSELF FROM SODOMY CONVICTION: LAWYER TO FILE FRES BID ON MONDAY

Former opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim will be filing a fresh challenge against his Sodomy II conviction on Monday, his lawyer Latheefa Koya revealed.

“It’s a fresh application to challenge the conviction and set it aside,” she told Malaysiakinitoday.
Latheefa said more details would be revealed after the application is filed with the High Court in Kuala Lumpur on Monday.

Anwar is currently serving a five-year sentence in Sungai Buloh Prison, after the Federal Court upheld his Sodomy II conviction on Feb 10, 2015.

He was accused of sodomising his former aide Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan.

Anwar had previously applied for the Federal Court to review its decision, but this was turned down on Dec 14 last year.

Like his first sodomy charge, Anwar has claimed that the second was also fabricated by his political rivals.

However, the government has denied this.

– M’kini