GEORGE TOWN – The Penang government wants to know why the RM1 billion for flood mitigation project in the state by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak has not been released yet.
The federal government has already set aside RM564 million to tackle floods in Pekan.
Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng (pix) today said he had no qualms on allocations being given by Najib to his own constituents but he hoped Putrajaya could speed up the approval for Penang.
He asked why there was no progress after Najib announced the allocation when he visited Penang during the floods last November.
“We are wondering why has there been no updates so far,” he said at a press conference here today.
Penang was hit by the worst floods in its history on Nov 4, 2017, with parts of the state submerged in water.
Lim was also unhappy as to why many of the previous flood victims are yet to receive the RM500 aid from federal government while state’s RM700-one-off payment had already been made.
“We hope the federal governent can explain this,” he said, adding that he was shocked after being informed that Penang only received RM35,000 in flood aid from Putrajaya since 2013.
“It is a very small amount which shows Penang is being discriminated.” he added.