MELAKA – “There are only factories there but police said the residents have complained and are afraid of chaos,” said former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
He was commenting on the cancellation of the debate between him and Minister of Tourism and Culture Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri, which was slated to take place on Apr 7.
Dr Mahathir said he had already anticipated the situation.
“I had expected this. They are actually afraid. I am ready anytime, if the opportunity arises, I will continue the dialogue,” he said after the Bicara Rakyat Perdana programme organised by the Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) at Taman Paya Rumput Bestari, Melaka, last night.
Dr Mahathir said police’s reason that there were police reports from the residents who were afraid the situation will go out of control, does not make sense.
“In the evening, police said cannot hold the debate. There are no houses there, only factories,” he said.
This is the second time the debate has been cancelled.
It was first slated to take place at MRSM Sultan Azlan Shah, Kuala Kangsar on March 25 but police had rejected the application to hold the debate.
The debate was then slated to take place on April 7 at the Dewan Karangkraf, Shah Alam at 9.30pm and will be aired live on Sinar TV.
However, yesterday, Karangkraf Media Group Managing Director Datuk Hussamuddin Yaacub announced the cancellation of the program following the revocation of the permit by the police.